These are two activities to encourage discussion about books and films. Students divide adjectives into positives and negatives and think of a book and a film that could be described using these adjectives. After that, students play a board game with their classmates.
Level: B1 +
Time: 45 minutes
- To introduce adjectives used to describe books and films.
- To divide the adjectives into positives and negatives and provide an example of a book or a film that could be described using the adjective in question.
- To answer questions about books and films using the adjectives in question.
- Bookworms & Film Buffs worksheet, one per student.
- Bookworms & Film Buffs board game, one per pair or group of three.
- Elicit some names of popular films and books from students, write them on the board and in pairs ask students to think of some adjectives that could be used to describe them. Alternatively, bring some images of famous book/film scenes into class and use them to elicit the adjectives.
- Hand out a copy of ‘Bookworms & Film Buffs’ Worksheet. Elicit the meanings of each of the adjectives using your own examples from films or books they may have seen.
- Students individually complete the table in Exercise 1.
- When the students have finished, ask them to compare their film and book titles with others as a mingling exercise.
- Put the students in pairs, or groups of 3, and give them a copy of ‘Bookworms & Film Buffs’ board game and a die.
- Players take it in turns to throw the die twice – the first throw indicates which column they should use, and the second throw indicates which row, to obtain the question.
- The players must discuss the question in as much detail as possible and incorporate the new adjectives into their answers.
- At the end, ask the students if there are any films they would watch or books they would like to read having listened to their classmates’ answers.
- Ask students to write a very brief review of a book or a film (70 words) and incorporate 7 new SCRAMBLED adjectives into their writing. When they have finished they swap their reviews with another student who must then unscramble the adjectives and guess the name of the book or film.
P.S. I really appreciate all your help Alex. Thank you.