This is an activity for intermediate students to practise forming compound nouns. Students form compound nouns, complete the sentences with the missing words and answer another classmate’s questions.
Time: 45 minutes
- To combine different words to form compound nouns.
- To ask and answer questions containing the compound nouns in question.
Materials (Click on the worksheets below to download the PDF files):
- Word fusion Worksheet A or B, one per student.
- Word fusion Fast Finisher Worksheet, one per student.
- Elicit some common compound nouns from students and write them on the board e.g. jellyfish, board game, eyelid,
- Divide the class in half down the middle – one side As, the other side Bs – and hand out the worksheets accordingly.
- Individually, students combine the nouns from the table and complete the sentences 1-10 with the newly formed words.
- When the students have finished, they compare their answers with another classmate from their group of As or Bs.
- Monitor and check their answers in their groups of A or B.
- When the students have finished, put the students into A / B pairs; in turns they ask and answer each other’s questions.
- Monitor and encourage students to use the nouns in their answers.
- At the end ask students to share three things they agree about with their partner.
- Hand out the Word Fusion Fast Finisher Worksheet and in A / B pairs ask students to choose six compounds and complete the table.
P.S. Thank you for your help Stu. Get better soon.