This is an activity to introduce and practise idioms with the word TOP. Students first complete the idioms with the missing word, match the idioms to their definitions (Exercise 2), complete the sentences in Exercise 3 with their own ideas and then complete and answer questions (Exercise 4) in pairs or small groups.
Time: 60 minutes
- To introduce idioms with the word TOP.
- To increase familiarity and correct use of idioms with the word TOP.
- To develop fluency and answer questions containing the target language in pairs.
- Hand out a copy of On top of the world Worksheet and ask students to place the sheets of paper in front of them FACE DOWN.
- Tell them to, on the word GO, turn over the worksheet, scan the expressions in Exercise 1 and find ONE word that completes ALL expressions. Tell students the SAME word is missing from all the expressions.
- Check together as a class.
- Now ask students to come up with their own definitions of the idioms using the context provided (Exercise 2). Tell them not to look at the definitions provided on the right.
- Now ask students to match the idioms to their definitions on the right.
- Check together as a class but again ask students to first compare their answers with their classmates and justify their answers.
- Ask students to complete sentences in Exercise 3 with their own ideas. They will have the opportunity to see the expressions in a different context.
- When they have finished, ask them to discuss their answers with their classmates and provide more detail.
- Next students complete the expressions with the missing words (Exercise 4) and answer the questions in pairs or small groups.
- When the students have finished, ask them to share what they have learnt about their classmates.
Ask students to draw, define, describe and write a sentence with 4 chosen expressions.
One thought on “On top of the world”
Dzisiaj nie ma zdjęcia? 🙂