This is a free board game to talk about films ( what a coincidence right?). Students can choose ONE of the Oscar winning films (e.g. Forrest Gump, A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, Chicago, The Godfather and whoever wins this year) and discuss it or refer to a different film each time they land on a question, but I guess it would be more interesting to stick to one film ONLY and discuss it in DEPTH. You could ask students which films they’ve seen before the activity and encourage them to watch at least one of the films you are going to discuss in class.
- To talk about films because the Oscars start in about 5 hours, so I guess that is a good enough reason.
Materials (Click on the worksheet below to download the PDF files):
- And the Oscar goes to board game
- Ask the students if they have seen any of the Academy Award nominated films this year and if so ask them to briefly tell you which films they have liked best.
- Put the students in pairs or groups and give them a copy of And the Oscar goes to…and a die and ask them to first decide which film they are going to discuss.
- Players take it in turns to throw the die twice – the first throw indicates which column they should use, and the second throw indicates which row, to obtain the question.
- The players now answer the questions in pairs or small groups and in as much detail as possible.
- At the end, ask the students to write a short review of their favourite film.
Also please check out all my other board games. There are over 30 of them on the blog.