This is a board game for B2 students to review common verbs and prepositions. Students answer questions containing the target language and do a couple of recycling activities at the end to further reinforce the vocabulary.
Time: 45 minutes
- To review common verbs and prepositions.
- To use the verbs and prepositions in context whilst playing a board game.
Materials (Click on the worksheet below to download the PDF file):
- Do you believe in ghosts? board game.
- One die per group of 3.
- Put the students in groups of 3, and give them a copy of Do you believe in ghosts? board game and a die. All the verbs and dependent prepositions are in bold to encourage noticing.
- Players take it in turns to throw the die twice – the first throw indicates which column they should use, and the second throw indicates which row, to obtain the question.
- When a player lands on a square all three players must answer the question from that square in as much detail as possible. Encourage students to ask each other additional questions to obtain more information.
- The game continues in the circle going left.
- At the end, ask the students to copy all the verbs and prepositions in alphabetical order in their notebooks and finally circle the verbs they use on a regular basis, underline the ones that were new and tick the expressions they didn’t get to use whilst playing the board game.
- Ask students to write their own questions with the verbs they didn’t practice whilst playing the board game and interview their classmates.