This is an activity for B2+ students to review some of the most common mistakes they make. The students correct the mistakes individually and interview their partners. I have created this activity with my Spanish students in mind, but I am sure you could use it with other nationalities too.
Time: 45 minutes
- To identify and correct common mistakes made by B2+ students.
Materials (Click on the worksheet below to download the PDF file):
- I will make better mistakes tomorrow Worksheet, one per student
- Give each student a I will make better mistakes tomorrow Worksheet and in pairs ask them to discuss the quotes at the top of the page.
- Elicit some answers from students to learn more about their attitudes to errors.
- Now individually ask students to correct the mistakes in questions 1 to 18.
- When the students have finished, ask them to check their answers with a classmate. Together they must decide on an answer and agree.
- Check together as a class. The class must decide as a group what they believe the correct answer to be. As teacher, only write their final answers on the board, do not tell them if they are correct or not at this stage. Once they have discussed and agreed on all of their answers as a class, tell them how many (if any) they have wrong – do not tell them which ones are wrong. As a class, they must review all of the questions and decide which one(s) they think is incorrect. This increases talking time and requires repetition of the language; it also encourages competition.
- In the same pairs, or groups of three, ask students to interview each other using the questions 1 to 18.
- Ask students to write down true statements about themselves using the expressions they were not able to correct by themselves.
P.S. “Your best teacher is your last mistake.” Ralph Nader