This is a sentence auction activity for students of mixed nationalities I am currently working with in Absolutely English Young Learners summer school in Sherborne, UK. Students work in groups and bid on the sentences they think they can correct.
Level: A2, B1, B2
Time: 45 minutes
- To buy and rewrite incorrect sentences.
- To review the most common mistakes made by different nationalities in an entertaining way.
- Bid it 2 Win it Sentence Auction, one worksheet for the teacher.
- Put students in small groups of 2 or 3.
- Each group will have £2000 to spend.
- Bids begin at £50 and each subsequent bid is increased by £100.
- The teacher writes the first sentence on the board and sells it to the highest bidder.
- Once the students have bought the sentence they have to rewrite it. If their answer is correct they keep the sentence. If they are wrong the sentence goes back on sale and the students can bid on it again at the end.
- The winner of the game is the group which has ended up with the most correct sentences.
My favourite mistakes card game
P.S. Thank you for your constant encouragement, support and great feedback Stu. I really appreciate it.
2 thoughts on “Bid it 2 Win it Sentence Auction”
This looks like fun! I think I’ll try it tomorrow. (Do you think that putting all of the sentences on a powerpoint will make things easier? Or would it lessen the suspense?)
I have done it on a power point before and it worked really well. You could also read the sentences to the students to make it slightly more challenging. Enjoy and let me know how it goes.
All the best.