These are three board game activities to talk about families, education and free time. They can be used together or separately, and are a great way to help students practise speaking and develop fluency, as well as prepare for Part 1 of the FCE /CAE speaking exam.
Level: B1 +
- To practise speaking about families, education and free time.
- To develop fluency under timed conditions.
3 PDF board games, one per pair or group of 3; a die and a timer per pair or group of 3.
- Put the students in pairs or groups of 3 and give them a copy of one of the board games and a die, they can use their phones for the timer. Aim to have all three board games in use at the same time.
- Players take it in turns to throw the die twice – the first throw indicates which column they should use, and the second throw indicates which row, to obtain the question.
- The player must then speak for at least 1 minute on that topic and provide their partner, or other two group members, with as much detail as possible.
- The game continues in a circle going left.
- Swap the board games after sufficient time to allow all three games to be played by each pair or group.
- At the end, ask the students to name three new things they have learnt about their classmates.