This is a free printable board game for students to get to know each other better. The game could be used at the beginning of each term/year but also when a new student joins the class. I have also used it with FCE students to practise Part 1 of the FCE speaking exam and encouraged them to speak for at least a minute.
Time: 45 minutes
- To reach the end by moving across the board whilst answering questions.
- To learn new things about students’ classmates.
- Printable Let’s Get Better Acquainted game.
- One die per group of 2 or 3.
- One checker per player.
- A countdown timer.
- Let’s Get Better Acquainted is played by 2 to 3 players.
- Before the game begins tell students to pay close attention to their classmates’ answers as they might be quizzed at the end of the activity.
- Players take it in turns to throw the die and move the number thrown.
- When a player lands on a square, they answer the question from that square. The student has to speak for at least 1 minute and include as much detail as possible in their answer.
- The game continues in the circle going left.
- When the students have finished, in the same groups ask each student to summarise what they have learnt about a person on their right. Continue until both or all three students have spoken.
- Ask students to share how accurate and detailed the accounts of their answers were.
- Ask students to write down 5 ‘Get to know you’ questions that they tend to ask people they have just met, e.g. at a party.