This is a fun lesson plan for intermediate + students to practise asking and answering questions about daily routines. Students interview each other and then write a short article using the information they’ve gathered.
- To talk about daily routines and rituals.
- To interview another student.
- To write a short article.
- To peer edit another student’s article.
- Put students in pairs.
- Individually, students divide a piece of paper in their notebooks into three parts: morning, afternoon and evening.
- Students write questions for their partners about their daily routines – 4 questions for each section of the day, e.g. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up? Do you usually have a nap in the afternoon? Do you have a bedtime ritual for better sleep?
- Students work in pairs and answer each other’s questions, making notes on each answer.
- When the students are finished, they must imagine the person they’ve just interviewed is a celebrity whose strict and weird routine has led to their success.
- They must write a short article (140-190 words) describing their interviewee’s rise to stardom, thanks to their unchanging routine.
- When the students have finished, they swap articles with their partner and edit them according to the following success criteria:
- The article has an eye catching headline, e.g. Can’t keep up? Don’t settle. Have some invigorating nettle.
- The article has an interesting introduction, e.g. Ever wondered why you never had ‘A’s at school, why you never got that dream job or the guy you fancied? Well, the answer might lie in something as inconspicuous as nettle tea.
- The writer gives specific examples, e.g. The A-list celebrity I’ve had a chance to interview never leaves the house without indulging in a cup of lovely nettle tea. In fact, she keeps on drinking gallons of nettle tea throughout the day and swears by its superpower qualities.
- The article is divided into paragraphs, with an inspiring final paragraph to motivate the reader into making a small change in their lives which may lead to super success!