This is a great warmer I’ve actually taken part in in an acting class. It allows elementary students to practise the present continuous in a really entertaining way.
- To practise the present continuous tense.
- Ask students to stand in a circle.
- One student stands in the middle of the circle and mimes an action e.g. cooking.
- A student who stands in the circle walks up to the student in the middle and asks “What are you doing?”
- The miming student in the middle doesn’t say what they are actually doing but says what the student who asked will have to mime next e.g. I am skiing.
- The first student leaves the circle and the second student continues miming until someone enters the circle and asks what they are doing.
- The game continues until all the students have mimed an action at least twice.